Island Peak Climbing
When Pooh Bear was asked whether he would prefer honey or molasses, he replied, “Yes thank you, that would be nice”. In that spirit, Trek and Tours eliminates the need for you to decide whether to commit to a life memory climb or a trek to the renowned Mount Everest Base Camp. This tour allows you to do both! Designed for physically fit and energetic adventurers who have limited time but want to experience both high attitude climbing and mountain trekking, this 22-day tour allows you to experience it all.
Our tour begins at one of the most famous airstrips in the world – the Lukla Airport – which is the jumping off point for most of the Everest expeditions. From here we trek to both the Everest Base Camp and Kala Patthar. The Mount Everest Base Camp needs to further explanation; Kala Patthar is not as well known. Due to the structure of Mt. Everest, Kala Patthar provides the most accessible point to view the all of Mt. Everest – from the base camp to the summit. The world’s highest webcam – Mount Everest webcam is located there.
After our trek, our attention turns the 6189 metres (20,305 feet) The Island Peak. One of the main climbing peaks in the Everest Region, this impressive, highly glaciated West Face rises from the famous Lhotse Glacier. This mountain was given it’s name by the distinguished British Himalayan mountaineer Eric Shipton who back in 1952, observed it to be “reminiscent of an island in a sea of ice”. (In the early 1980s, the mountain’s name was formally changed to Imja Tse, though Shipton’s original name remains more popular.)
In consultation with Sherpa mountaineers, our climbing itinerary has been structured to allow proper acclimatization in order to maximize the chances for a successful ascent.
We will work very hard to facilitate your successfully summiting Island Peak. While we cannot guarantee a successful summit, we can assure that you will return home you with a lifetime of powerful and exhilarating memories.
Health and Experience Requirements
Island Peak is not a technical peak but you need good stamina for a long day effort while climbing it. You can climb Island peak without any previous climbing experience and skills of using climbing equipment but knowledge on using equipment and previous experience would be beneficial although not mandatory because a pre-ice climbing training is provided to you in Base Camp to make you skillful on using climbing gears such as ropes, ice pick, harness, crampons. Island Peak climbing usually requires normally 5-6 hours of walking every day and some days even 8-10 hours- such as in submitting day.
We suggest you get prepared with about 12 Km of walking or jugging exercise every day before 3 months of your Island Peak trip because on choosing Island Peak trip, you are considering to walk in high altitude and remote area for many days and more than five hours most of the days.To join the Island Peak climbing trip with a good chance of success, you must have: Lots of willpower, ability to tolerate harsh conditions, reasonable fitness and stamina with sound health. It is vital that participants with pre-existing medical problems or conditions make these known to TrekandTours at the time of booking. Medical and evacuation expenses are the responsibility of the participant.
Day 1Arrival at Tribhuban International Airport, pick up by our private vehicle, and transfer to the hotel. O/N Hotel.
Day 2Kathmandu sightseeing, including the Buddhist stupa of Boudhnath, Swyambhunath (Monkey Temple), and Patan Durbar Square, all of which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. O/N Hotel
Day 3Breakfast at the hotel
Pickup from hotel and transfer to airport.
Fly to Lukla (2,795 m) and trek to Phakding (2,610m). O/N Lodge.
Day 4Trek to Namche Bazaar (3450m). O/N Lodge.
Day 5In Namche Bazaar. Acclimatization day. O/N Lodge.
Day 6Trek to Tengboche. (3760m). O/N Lodge.
Day 7Trek to Dingboche. (4310m). O/N Lodge.
Day 8Day trip to Chhukung valley (4,710m) and return trek to Dingboche. O/N Lodge.
Day 9Trek to Lobuche (4,920m). O/N Lodge.
Day 10Trek to Everest Base Camp (5,300m), then back to Gorak Shep. O/N Lodge.
Day 11Visit Kalapattar (5,545m), and trek to Pheriche (4,240m). O/N Lodge.
Day 12Trek to Chukkung. (4730m). O/N Lodge.
Day 13Trek to Island peak base camp. (5200m) (AP). Overnight Camp.
Day 14Acclimatization basic training ascend 5600m and back to base camp- Overnight Camp (AP).
Day 15Summit attempt of Island peak (6189m) & back to Chhukung. (AP). Overnight Camp
Day 16Extra day – incase of unfavorable weather and could not summit on day 15. Overnight Lodge/ CAMP (AP) – adjustable.
Day 17Trek to Tengboche. (3760m). O/N Lodge.
Day 18Trek to Namche Bazaar. (3450m). O/N Lodge.
Day 19Trek to Lukla. (2840m). O/N Lodge.
Day 2007.00 AM: Flight to Kathmandu.
Free time to relax- sightseeing can be arranged. Overnight Hotel.
Day 21Breakfast at the hotel.
Free time on your own/ extra sightseeing can be arranged.
Day 22Breakfast at the hotel
Last day of trip – transfer to International airport for departure.
Included and Additional Expences
- Airport/Hotel/Airport transfers.
- 4 Nights Hotel accommodations in Kathmandu on Bed & Breakfast Basis.
- Sightseeing tour with English speaking city guide and all monument fees.
- Basic comfortable Mountain lodges on trek.
- 4 Nights camp trek on Island Peak Base camp on full board basis (while climbing as per itinerary).
- Kathmandu / Lukla / Kathmandu flight.
- 1 porter for each 2 members (includes their food, accommodation and daily wages).
- Climbing Sherpa Allowances
- Climbing Sherpa /Guide for entire trek days.
- Necessary crew, camping equipment, cooking utensils for 4 nights camping trek on Island Peak Base camp.
- Guide and porter insurance.
- Trekking Permit, Tims Permit
- Island Peak Permit
- Climbing Sherpa allowance
- Climbing equipment except the personal gear.
- Down Jacket, Sleeping bags and duffel/kit bag (which needs to be returned after the trek.)Personal Climbing Gears Included per person:
- Climbing gear per person - Ice axe, Crampons, Harness, Tap Slings (2), Screwgate Karabiners (2 lock,2 unlock), Ascender, helmet (optional).
- Group climbing gear- Snow bar, Rope, Ice Hammer, Ice Screw
- All Government fees including 13% VAT.
- Meals on trek and in Kathmandu except 4 nights during Island Peak climbing
- Alcoholic beverages, soft drinks and mineral water.
- Your travel insurance (mandatory).
- Emergency Rescue Evacuation
- International airfare.
- Nepal entry visa, cost USD40/-.
- Personal gears
- Any Service which is not included in service included section.